"I went for a walk with my colleagues across the city
that has been razed to the ground by ISIS airstrikes. There was an old man that
insisted that we take his picture and told us he was an engineer before the war
and he lost his son and became a carpenter after.
As i walked back arm in arm with them to the house I couldn’t
shake off the feeling that this gig is more than a job to me, these people I
snuggle up to movies and make smoke sheesha with are starting to feel a lot
like family, this broken incandescent place a lot like home, any my
understandable passion for my cool adventurous job in Syria, a lot like love.
I hope we always remain how we were that day that- Cawa, always sassy and abrasive, that Jenny never loses her sense of empathy and Ben never loses his good heart. I hope we never get old or sick or jaded. I hope we always walk arm in arm across deserted streets on chilly afternoons letting them touch us, affect us and destroy us a little.





Powerful.
ReplyDeleteKeep them coming.
ReplyDeleteMama, hoping to read ur articles soon
DeleteI saw T Ramesh and I wondered, why this thing was open for public reading ! Only to realise after a sec that it's Tryphena Ramesh.,��
ReplyDeleteShiny, i agree with tryph.. so powerful ! I keep re-reading it...may be allowing it to destroy more and more.. may be some of us need that destruction to chip away our plastered/cemented/whitewashed exteriors...to peek into our very own souls and priorities.
In the middle of all that death and destruction- what caught me is that guy, pleading to not give up on his faith in God ! Amazing people. Amazing write up.. thanks shiny.
Looking forward to a post from you soon deebs
DeleteDB allow me to be an enigma no :P
Delete